Suggestions for healthy packed lunches include:
- at least one portion of fruit and one portion of vegetables every day.
- meat, fish or other source of non-dairy protein (e.g. lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas, hummus)
- oily fish, such as salmon or tuna.
- a starchy food such as any type of bread, pasta, rice, couscous, noodles
- dairy food such as cheese, yoghurt, fromage frais
Packed lunch foods to avoid giving regularly:
- snacks such as a full packet of crisps (half a bag is sufficient). Instead try Savoury crackers or breadsticks
- confectionery such as chocolate bars, chocolate-coated biscuits and sweets. Cakes and biscuits are allowed but encourage your child to eat these only as part of a balanced meal.
- Processed meat products such as sausage rolls, individual pies, corned meat and sausages/chipolatas should be included only occasionally.
There are water jugs on the table that the children can help themselves to.
Please Do Not include Nuts of any kind, including chocolate spread
We have a number of children in school with a nut allergy so please do not send in any nuts or food containing nut products into school.