Home Page
Home Page

SEND Information Report

SEND Information Report ~ What does Hall Green I & N School provide for pupils with SEND?

“I am so grateful for all of the SEN support my son has received, and us as a family too.  We all work together to ensure my child’s happiness and progression at school and at home”
Kathy, mother of a year two pupil.
The new Special Educational Needs & Disabilities (SEND) 0-25 Code of Practice was published in June 2014 by the Department for Education and was implemented from September 2014.

The code gives guidance to early education settings, schools, Post 16 providers, local authorities and anybody else who helps to identify, assess and provide help for children and young people with special educational needs. It sets out the processes and procedures that all these organisations should follow to meet the needs of children and young people, using a step-by-step or 'graduated approach' and  was implemented from September 2014.  

Children with SEND work closely with the SENCo and outside agencies.  Hall Green I & N School is committed to supporting children & young people with SEN and/or disabilities and works alongside professionals at "Access to Education A2E" to ensure best outcomes for this group.  
Please see
More information on the New SEND Code of Practice can be found on the My Care in Birmingham Website below:

"Disabled pupils and those who have special educational needs make outstanding progress."
Hall Green I & N School OfSTED report 2013
Our Principles
  • We always encourage independence & enjoyment
  • Pupil participation is central to what we do
  • Class based staff are offered ideas, support & advice to ensure quality first teaching*(*meeting children’s needs by adapting planning & provision in class so that SEND provision is driven by the teacher all day every day).
  • Build on each child’s strengths to help them access the things they find tricky
  • Outstanding inclusive practice benefits all children
  • Children not on the SEN register develop understanding, empathy and higher level skills involved in supporting their peers & sharing their knowledge.
  • Celebrate successes, however small they may seem to some
  • Interventions are adapted and personalised to meet each child’s needs
  • Evolving practice responds to children’s changing needs and the progress they make
  • Parents / Carers involvement is highly valued
  • At Hall Green I & N School we are a committed, experienced & creative team who want to see the children succeed.
  • The inclusion team is here to support the child, their family and the classroom staff.
  • We prioritise well-being
  • Learning is multi-sensory & hands-on
“Parent Partnership isn’t just a phrase that’s bandied around.  It really means something at Hall Green Infant & Nursery School.  There’s a common goal of happiness and progress for the SEND pupils.”
Parent of pupil who is on the SEND Code of Practice

 “I would recommend this school to other parents”
Parent of Reception pupil with 

It sometimes becomes clear during a child’s time at school that extra support is needed so that the child can take part in every aspect of the national curriculum. Teachers and parents / carers are important in identifying these needs. All teachers will take into consideration the varying abilities in any class and use suitable materials and methods for the range of abilities within lessons (Known as ‘quality first teaching’). We will work with you if your child has been identified as having a special need and discuss with you the kind of support the school can offer.


There is a graduated approach to additional needs as described in the SEND Code of Practice (2014).  We use a person-centred approach in our graduated response to SEND.  Below is a picture created by Annabel Evans (Pupil & School Support) to show how this process works.  Many thanks to Annabel for giving us permission to use her art work.

(Artwork courtesy of Annabel Evans, PSS)


Levels of Support offered as part of the graduated response:
SEN Support is used to describe a child who will need provision which is additional to or different from what is available to all,
in order to make progress.  


The first stage of SEN Support is 'targeted support' . When this happens the child is provided with interventions & strategies by the class teacher that is additional to or different from those provided by the usual differentiated curriculum. Information is collected from the class teacher, specialist teacher (SENCo), parent/carer and any other professional working with the child.


Sometimes 'specialist support' will be necessary.  Professionals from external agencies will see the child, so that they can advise teachers on fresh targets and accompanying strategies, provide more specialist assessments that can inform planning and the measuring of progress. 

The Education Health Care Plan replaces the old "Statement of Provision" and anyone currently on a Statement of Provision will be transferred to an Education Health Care Plan following a schedule set out by the local authority.

Provision Plan (PP) & Education Health Care Plan (EHC) 

Some children have greater and more specific needs for extra help and these may be given either a Provision Plan or an Education Health Care Plan which sets out the kind of help needed.  A “Provision Plan” is a document used by Birmingham Local Authority and is not a legally binding document; this could be described as between "SEN Support" and an "Educational Health Care Plan". 
An Education Health Care Plan is a legally binding document (so if a child moves to a different local authority the provision stipulated in it goes with them).  Again, parents/carers are always fully involved at every stage if it is thought that an EHC is necessary and would be beneficial to the child. 
Children who are working at a level significantly above that of a child of a similar age may also be described as having Special Educational Needs (“More Able Child” ~ working roughly a year ahead of age related expectations or “Gifted & Talented
~ working roughly two years ahead of age related expectations or having a special talent e.g. creative/physical ability).

We believe that it is vitally important that all children achieve their full potential and that we all work as a team to ensure this happens.  As with children on the SEN Code of Practice, provision for more able children is driven by the class teacher(s). Through the provision of a range of strategies and a properly differentiated curriculum the needs of all children, including the most able, are addressed.

“Parents / Carers involvement is highly valued”
Parent of Nursery pupil with SEND.
Intervention Groups
Sometimes it will be appropriate for a child to take part in a specialised group to help them particular skills.  It’s not just pupils on the SEN Code of Practice who take part in these interventions ~ we all need a bit of help sometimes.  The groups we run, as and when they are needed, include:
  • Pre-tutoring Group (preparing children for new topics / vocabulary being used in the week ahead)
  • Fine Motor Group (small movements with our hands)
  • Gross Motor Group (large movements using our body e.g. climbing, running)
  • Speech and Language Support
  • Fun Friends (learning strategies to help us socially and when we find things tricky)
  • Social Interaction Group (getting on with others and showing appropriate behaviours in class and in the playground)
  • Lunchtime Support (children who need a bit of help getting used to the rules and routines in the dinner hall)
  • Phonic Groups (support with learning to read and write fluently)
  • Not all groups can run all of the time but happen according to the needs within the school. In addition to group support, the Inclusion team can support individual children within class, working on their identified targets.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Does my child have to have and Education, Health & Care Plan (EHC) or statement of special educational needs to receive extra support?
No.  All children on the special educational needs code of practice receive support that is personalised for them.  This may be mainly focused in class and the adaptations the class teacher makes for them (known as quality first teaching), but may also include other support, such as being part of an intervention group or involvement from outside agencies.

What is an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHC) or statement of special educational needs?
Both are legal documents for pupils with a high level of need.  ‘EHCs’ replaced ‘statements’ when the new SEND Code of Practice became law in September 2014, there is a timetable for transferring statements to EHCs which will be complete in by 2017.  They document what a child’s needs are, what provision is required for him/her and outcomes are being targeted.  If you would like more information about what is in an EHC or when one would be requested for a pupil please see the Inclusion Leader.

Who do I see if I’m worried about my child’s learning and/or development?
The class teacher is the first person to speak to about any concerns you may have.  The teacher can then speak to the Inclusion Leader to either seek some guidance or arrange a meeting for the parents / carers to discuss their concerns with the Inclusion Leader directly.
I’m worried about my child moving to a new school.  What happens to help them?
For transitions at the end of the academic year e.g. moving up to a junior school, the inclusion team has a focus on transition support in the Summer Term.  Extra time is spent with specific children to help prepare them for the changes, additional visits to new settings can be arranged and personalised transition books are made for the children to use during the summer holidays with their families. 
Similar strategies are used if a child changes setting part way through an academic year, so the more notice we can be given if a move is going to take place the more time we can spend helping your child cope with the transition.
Smooth transition to our school is also very important to us, so if your child has any additional needs and gets allocated a place at our school please inform us as soon as possible.  That way, we can liaise with you and any previous settings as well as arranging additional visits and/or transition books.

As a parent of a SEND child I’m feeling alone.  Can you help?
We have termly coffee mornings for parents of children on the SEN code of practice.  Come along and meet other parents who may have experience of what you are going through.  Our Inclusion Leader will also be present to offer a friendly ear and offer suggestions as well as signposting other avenues of support.  

Please see the SEN information for parents/carers section 
for details of the next meeting.

There are also termly SEND review meetings and parents evenings.  If at any point in the school year you would like to speak to the class teacher about concerns you may have, teachers are happy to arrange a time to talk to you.

My child has SEND, can they take part in an after school club?
All pupils have equal access to after school clubs.  We may need to take extra steps to support a pupil’s participation in a club, so when you complete a form to request a place for your child you can highlight your child’s needs and the office staff with involve the Inclusion Leader.                                  
For further details about after school clubs please speak to the school office.

 “This meeting has been great!  We feel really involved.”
Parent at SEND information report consultation meeting
 This SEND information report has been developed in collaboration with a group of parents who have children on our SEN code of practice.  The group represented 22% of our SEND pupils, included all four year groups and areas of special educational need.
A big thank you to the group of parents who gave up their time to contribute to our school’s SEND information report.  Your comments, ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.  Mrs Starr (Inclusion Leader)