This half term we are learning Cantonese, as we have children who speak Cantonese in school. The children and staff will be learning basic phrases and to help support you all at home you can download the Cantonese poster below. We will soon upload a short movie here for you to look at, which will help you with your pronunciation. Watch this space! Have fun!
Fun Facts about Cantonese and the Southern (Canton) region of China where it is spoken.
- Cantonese is written in symbols instead of letters. The symbols are traditionally displayed in columns that go downwards from right to left – the complete opposite to English!
- Cantonese is the main language in many Chinatowns all over the world, including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York, Chicago, London, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Vancouver, Toronto, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.
- Children in Hong Kong are expected to speak 3 languages; Cantonese (the local language), English and Mandarin (the official Chinese language).
- Hong Kong has its own Disneyworld – the first one to be opened in China.
- Chinese New Year is the 19th February this year, when it is the year of the goat.